Organization and Project Description
The International Cancer Institute (ICI) is a non-governmental not-for-profit organization that specializes in cancer care, research, training, and outreach services. Our mission is to prevent and cure cancer through pioneering interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research, to translate new knowledge into better prevention and treatment, and to provide effective and compassionate clinical care that improves the lives of patients with cancer and their families. ICI is committed to excellence in research, dynamic partnerships between collaborating centres, laboratories and clinics, robust outreach and education throughout sub-Saharan Africa, while engaging in outstanding education and training programs for future cancer scientists and clinicians.
The main purpose of the ICI-Roche iThemba HPV DNA study is to test a new way of improving follow up care after cervical cancer screening, by using a mobile health application (an App), named iThemba Life, to provide screening and or test results directly to the clients through their mobile phones. The clients may also use the iThemba Life App to obtain appointment reminders and watch educational videos about how to stay healthy.
As part of this effort, ICI seeks to recruit Research Assistants to join its dynamic team of staff for the iThemba Life HPV DNA Study.
Position: Study Research Assistant
Location: Meru County, Kenya & Kisumu County, Kenya
Reporting to: ICI County Sites’ Coordinators – iThemba Life HPV DNA Study (Direct reporting) and the Study Manager – iThemba Life HPV DNA Study (Indirect reporting).
Job Summary: The study Research Assistant is overally responsible for study participants’ mobilization, pre-enrolment evaluation (administering the eligibility criteria tool) and cervical cancer screening as well as coordination of data collection and recording activities for the iThemba Life HPV DNA Study, under the direction of the ICI County Sites’ Coordinator as outlined under the specific duties and responsibilities below
Minimum Requirements (Essential Qualifications)
- Diploma in any health-related discipline, preferable nursing sciences or clinical medicine. A degree will be an added advantage
- Be duly registered and licensed with the relevant regulatory bodies (E.g., NCK, COC or KMPDC)
- Be competent in cervical cancer screening using VIA and HPV DNA sample collection
- Minimum of one-year experience post training and in data collection in a healthcare related setting/ project
- Be a Kenyan citizen and a current resident of Kisumu County or Meru County and be willing to be stationed within the various sub-counties that the study recruitment healthcare facilities are domiciled
- Be fluent in written & spoken English and Kiswahili languages (Proficiency in Dholuo or Kimeru language will be an added advantage for the corresponding respective study sites)
- Be conversant with electronic medical records (EMR) and other electronic data collection platforms/tools
- Be computer literate, have a good understanding of and ability to use Microsoft Office applications (At least MS Word & MS Excel)
- Immediate availability for an initial period of at least six months
- Leadership, team building, coordination skills and exceptional interpersonal skills
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with MoH staff at the study sites to mobilize, administer eligibility criteria tools and screen eligible clients for cervical cancer as well as document the findings using the various study tools (both paper based & electronic), as appropriate to the specific study objectives
- Coding and verifying data in accordance with specified study protocol and coding procedures
- Data entry into a computer database and/or spreadsheet application for subsequent analysis.
- Developing or assisting in the development of interview schedules (exit interviews & FGDs); contacting potential subjects to introduce and explain study objectives and protocol, and to arrange in person interviews.
- Conducting and recording face-to-face interviews with subjects, in accordance with predetermined study protocol, data collection procedures, and documentation standards.
- Reviewing and editing data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; following up with study participants to resolve problems or clarify data collected.
- Carrying out specific medical procedures as outlined in the protocol
- Any other duties as may be assigned may the assigned by the supervisors
Terms of Engagement
- Remuneration/ compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on education levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency
- Six (6) months renewable contract as per ICI scheme of service and a Probation period for the first 2 months
- Payment will be in arrears at the end of the month.
Application MUST include the following:
- Letter of Application clearly specifying County of preference
- Current CV with working telephone number, e-mail address and at least 2 referees
- Copies of academic and professional certificates
- Valid professional practise license
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are encouraged to send in their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to email@example.com with the subject clearly indicated as: Research Assistant – iThemba Life HPV DNA Study (Kisumu) or Research Assistant – iThemba Life HPV DNA Study (Meru) for the respective study sites.
The application deadline is May 30, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
International Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer.